The Viennese citizen Ferdinand Zögernitz had a residence built in the Biedermeier style on a former imperial property. The old Casino Zögernitz opened on June 21, 1837 and with its “richly decorated hall” and beautiful garden, it became a popular meeting place for the best Viennese society.
In the summer of 1850 Johann Strauss organized a large Viennese folk festival "for his benefit" in the Casino Zögernitz with a glittering ball, impressive illumination and fireworks. As he had learned from his father, he also gave this festival a triumphant title: "Magnificent scene from the residence". The young Strauss promised a new waltz as an attraction for the ball: "Johannis-Käferln". It is quite possible that the guests also got to see real "Johannis-Käferln", because that is what they call glow worms in Vienna, and they can be seen very often and in large numbers on friendly summer nights, especially in the Döbling area.
In the following years after 1868 folk singers and comedians such as Pepi Steidler, Luise Montag, Josefine Schmär and the "Alte Drahrer" Guschelbauer played the entertainment program. From 1880 onwards, the Strauss Hall was also the location for numerous concerts by the brothers Johann and Eduard Strauss, as well as by Fahrbach, who was then local conductor.
From 1870-1903, the terminus and coach house was the horse tramway in place of the later newly built dining garden. Only after the tram had been electrified was the terminus moved to Hohe Warte.
In 1913 the restaurateurs Alfred and Maria Stegbauer took over the casino and set up an open-air cinema in the garden for several years from 1920. Since the casino was badly damaged in the course of the First World War, they decided in 1926 to build new buildings, taking into account a wish that had often been expressed, especially by the people of Döbling. The new building was adapted to the old casino in a somewhat modernized old Viennese style.
From May 1945 up to 600 Soviet soldiers celebrated their victory here with appeals and garden parties. After Vienna was divided into four zones, the Americans held exuberant triumph celebrations in the casino.
After the withdrawal of the foreign occupying powers, the Zögernitz casino was brought back to life. The Viennese carnival, balls, wreaths, summer festivals, meetings of political parties, theater and opera performances returned.
In 1950 the adjoining hotel, where artists such as Marcel Prawy, Helge Rosvaenge, Walter Wallner etc. stayed, was built.
Large recordings of old and classical music have taken place in the Strauss Hall since 1967. Nikolaus Harnoncourt worked here with his "Concentus Musicus" and many well-known opera singers and choirs honored the house.
Casino Zögernitz has belonged to Rudolf Stegbauer KG since 1976. After Rudolf Stegbauer's death, the property passed to his two sisters, who died a few years ago. They bequeathed the Casino Zögernitz to the Archdiocese of Vienna.
The now historic old building and the entire property are in poor condition and have been vacant for years. In the past few years, makeshift sheds have been built around the old building by various owners and the area has become overgrown.
Casino Zögernitz has been listed by the Federal Monuments Office since February 2008.
In the same year, the real estate developer Hermann Rauter acquires the property and develops the concept for the revitalization of the old casino, financed by building new apartments on the fallow property.
A gentle historical return in close coordination with the Federal Monuments Office, both in terms of structure and function, begins.
Since June 2021, the cozy patio is finally back in use and is an enrichment for Döbling and all of Vienna. The accompanying restaurant, managed by restaurateur and award-winning chef Stefan Glantschnig, delights guests with "simple Viennese cuisine at the highest level". None other than star architect Denis Kosutic is responsible for the extraordinary interior design.
The renovation of the historic hall is progressing. In order to meet the requirements of the monument office, the faithful wall painting is recruited and the hall is also architecturally restored to its original state. In order to test the acoustic brilliance and to support musicians in the Corona crisis, “construction site concerts” are held over and over again.
Planned opening: February 2023